Monday, February 8, 2016

Ravenshoe cafe blast survivor Noeleen Avenell forced to wear full body suit


'I was covered in boiling oil, watching the skin and flesh dripping off my body': Single mother given just a FIVE per cent chance of survival after horror cafe blast is now forced to wear a full-body suit
Noeleen Avenell, 52, suffered burns to 60 per cent of her body in the blast
Serves You Right cafe burst into flames when a 4WD hit a gas canister
Mother-of-two Ms Avenell was given a five per cent chance of survival
The June 9 blast claimed the lives of two people including Nicole Nyholt
A further 19 were injured in the blast in Ravenshoe in far-north Queesland


A woman who survived a horrific cafe blast that claimed the lives of two people last year has made an incredible recovery.
Noeleen Avenell, 52, was given just a five per cent chance of survival after a fire ripped through the Serves You Right cafe in Ravenshoe when a car hit a gas canister outside the restaurant.
The single mother-of-two, from Millstream in far-north Queensland, is finally home after a month in a coma, four months in intensive care and 18 operations, the Courier Mail reported.



'I was up in flames, covered in boiling oil, watching the skin and flesh dripping off my body, and I thought "I'm dead",' she said, recalling her horrific ordeal.
Ms Avenell is required to wear a full-body compression suit that also covers her face, after suffering burns to almost 60 per cent of her body.



Her face was the most badly damaged park of her body, and the 52-year-old said her ankles were the only part left untouched by the fire.
'That was how they dragged me out, by the ankles.'
But the brave mother-of-two has learned to walk again since the accident, and is finally back at home despite still needing to attend daily physiotherapy sessions.
She also spoke about cafe manager Nicole Nyholt, who tragically died during Queensland's largest mass burn disaster, describing her as a 'legend'.
Ms Avenell said her horrific experience helped her to appreciate life and not take it for granted, and she felt blessed that she would now get to see her grandchildren grow up.
Horrific CCTV footage shows the moment an out-of-control 4WD smashed into a 420 kilogram gas canister, engulfing the cafe in flames and injuring 19 people in June 9, 2015.
Ms Avenell said when the vehicle hit the wall right near the kitchen she was working in as a chef, the explosion was so intense she was 'inhaling fire'.
She said she was conscious the entire time.



Outrage at Superbowl 50 Colonial Williamsburg ad that used footage of 9/11 attacks


'September 11 should not be used to sell anything': Outrage at Superbowl ad to promote Colonial Williamsburg that used footage of the 9/11 attacks
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation ad was shown during the Superbowl
The commercial was aimed at promoting tourism at the historical attraction
It showed some of the defining moments in American history in reverse
However, the ad provoked outrage by showing clip of the 9/11 attacks
But the makers of the commercial said they stood by their minute-long ad


An ad shown during the Superbowl to promote tourism at Colonial Williamsburg has provoked outrage after using footage of the 9/11 attacks.
The commercial was shown across some areas of the U.S. including New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. and was produced by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
The minute-long promo for the 'living museum' showed some of the defining moments in American history in reverse such as the first flight, missions to space, suffragettes and even the inauguration of President of Barack Obama.




The voice-over, narrated by NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw, asks where the American spirit first started to take shape, and answers that it was in Colonial Williamsburg.
However, one of the moments used in the ad, showed one of the towers of the World Trade Centre after it was hit by a plane.


It then shows in the reverse, one of the towers then collapsing to the ground, in the attack which killed almost 3,000.
It came as the voice-over states: 'When you reflect upon our sacrifices, our breakthroughs and yes, our heartbreaks, how is it possible that an entire country came to believe anything is possible.'



But after the commercial was broadcast during the Superbowl coverage, viewers flocked to social media branding the ad as 'shocking'.
Saturday Night Live star Taran Killam wrote: 'Did Colonial Williamsberg just show 9/11 footage in reverse? Seems a bit unearned.' (sic)
Matt Binder tweeted: 'Major superbowl commercial fail by Colonial Williamsburg. 9/11 shouldn't be used to sell anything but war.'
Michele Weisman said: 'Wow did that Colonial Williamsburg ad just show the twin towers go back up? #whatwereyouthinking #notcool'



Bob McKee wrote: 'I have never been to Colonial Williamsburg and thanks to their #superbowl50 I never will. Sept 11 should not be used to sell anything.'
While Costa Costidis added: 'Yea the terrible quality of both offenses is shocking, but not nearly as shocking as Colonial Williamsburg putting 9/11 footage in an ad.'
However, despite the the outrage, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation stood by their ad.
In a statement the Foundation's spokesman Joe Straw said: 'We understand and respect that some of the images in the ad are jarring
'However, the small data point of people who objected to some of the imagery in the ad does not represent the total viewership. Not even close.'
'All that is past is prologue. Our ad is meant to walk viewers backwards through time, challenging them to reflect on how our collective history and struggles shape who we are as Americans today. We cannot forget our sacrifices or our tragedies even as we celebrate our accomplishments.'


Amber Louise Daniels denied bail over Brisbane bomb hoax


Pregnant teenager, 17, 'said she would pay two friends $20 to make a hoax bomb threat' that saw 2000 evacuated from a school
Amber Daniels charged after bomb hoax in Brisbane's south
She allegedly offered two of her co-accused $20 to make the threat
Calamvale Community College was evacuated at 12.30pm last Wednesdsay

A pregnant teenager is allegedly behind a bomb hoax in Brisbane which saw 2000 students evacuated from school last Wednesday.
Amber Louise Daniels, 17, has been denied bail after Richland Magistrate's Court heard she told two of her co-accused she would pay them $20 if they made the call.
Prosecutor Andrea Donaghue opposed bail due to the serious nature of the hoax, which sparked the evacuation of the prep - Queensland's kindergarten equivalent - to Year 12 college.




'It was an extremely hot day, approximately 36C, 2000 students had to be evacuated,' she said.
The court heard while police searched the school for a bomb Ms Daniels and her three co-accused ate lunch at Hungry Jacks.
Daniels lawyer unsuccessfully argued their client should be granted bail because of her personal circumstances.
The teenager, who was due to begin year 12 this year, was recently told by a doctor that she was pregnant.



Magistrate Andrew Cridland said the case against her was strong as were the concerns she would commit further offences of released and denied the application.
The three others charged over the bomb hoax at Calamvale Community College also faced court on Monday.
Sanjay Jerome Christian Adolphus and Caleb Zane Lyons didn't apply for bail and were remanded in custody.




The fourth accused, Nathaniel Genge-Gibson, was already on bail and had his case adjourned.
All four are due to face court again on March 21.
It's unclear why the community college was targeted.
Police have said it was a copycat incident following numerous threats made to schools along Australia's east coast last week.



Five thousand homes left without power and commuters hit by road and rail chaos as Storm Imogen batters the South with 100mph winds and torrential rain


Five thousand homes left without power and commuters hit by road and rail chaos as Storm Imogen batters the South with 100mph winds and torrential rain
Storm batters South with 96mph winds while 280 flood alerts and warnings in place for England and Wales
Rail services in Wales and southern England facing speed restrictions and Gatwick Airport warns of delays
Almost 5,000 homes in the South West, Midlands and Wales have been left without power due to high winds
Storm Imogen expected to track eastwards along south coast throughout today and also bring 1.5in of rain


Nearly 5,000 homes were left without power today as Storm Imogen lashed Britain with hurricane-force winds that reached almost 100mph.
The storm has battered the South and gave many commuters a horrendous journey to work as trains were disrupted and ferries cancelled.
There are more than 280 flood alerts and warnings in place for England and Wales with more than 1.5in of rain expected to fall today.
Rail services in Wales and southern England are facing speed restrictions and cancellations, and London Gatwick Airport warned of delays.
And the Severn Bridge was closed eastbound and restricted westbound while ferry services from ferry companies Brittany and P&O were cancelled.



Almost 5,000 homes in the South West, Midlands and Wales have been left without power due to high winds.
Engineers have been working through the night to restore affected services, Western Power Distribution said.
Speed restrictions at various times will be imposed on routes in the South until at least 5pm due to high winds, according to National Rail Enquiries.
Affected networks include Arriva Trains Wales, Great Western Railway, Southern, South West Trains, Gatwick Express, Southeastern and Thameslink.
A Network Rail spokesman said inspections were ongoing although no damage or blockages on the network had been found.


Storm Imogen is expected to track eastwards along the south coast throughout today and threaten ferry services from the Port of Dover.
Extreme weather conditions late on Sunday forced the port to close for around two hours into this morning, disrupting services.
The authority tweeted: ‘Port of Dover is monitoring weather situation. Safety is primary concern and we apologise for any inconvenience to travellers.’
Today, there is an amber ‘be prepared’ wind warning for South Wales and England’s south coast with large waves expected in coastal areas.
The Met Office originally warned of winds up to 80mph, but overnight gusts of 96mph at the Needles off the Isle of Wight were recorded.



Forecaster Emma Sillitoe said the winds would be some of the worst so far this winter, not far off gusts of 105mph recorded last month in Shetland.
She said: ‘We are looking to see gusts of 60-70mph quite widely, hitting the South West [and] moving across southern central parts towards London.
‘It is going to be picking up towards 70mph around lunchtime in London.
‘We have seen 96mph at the Needles off the Isle of Wight and gusts to 80mph are likely, especially along northern coasts of Devon and Cornwall.’
There is also a warning for 1.6in of rain over high ground in Western Scotland and Wales and the moors of South West England today.
And the Met Office warned there was potential for an inch of snow in northern Scotland overnight into today.
Highways England warned motorists in the South to check forecasts and road conditions before travelling due to strong winds forecast up to 6pm.
The A35 running along the south coast between Devon and Hampshire has been closed in both directions near Dorchester due to flooding.
And the agency has issued a severe weather alert for ‘high-sided vehicles, caravans and motorbikes, which are advised to take extra care’.
Traffic crossing between England and Wales is being diverted in both directions via the M4 following restrictions on the M48.



So far #StormImogen has brought a max gust of 96mph to Needles Old Battery. Warnings are still in force https://t.co/BEQkezhE3z
— Met Office (@metoffice) February 8, 2016
Spokesman Jon Allen urged drivers to ‘check their routes and change their journeys accordingly’ before setting off today.
Meanwhile those watching waves in coastal areas were warned to keep a safe distance, as 45ft swells in the Channel could create dramatic scenes.
MeteoGroup forecaster Mario Cuellar said: 'It is going to be very stormy on Monday with high winds and rain, especially in the south west and Wales.
'The storm will spread eastwards during the day and could bring disruption to travel, especially Channel ferries in the late afternoon.
'This stormy weather will clear later in the week but the forthcoming weekend also looks unsettled with a low weather front coming in over the north.'
Tomorrow and Wednesday should be drier, quieter and colder days for many before more wind and rain follows later in the week.
Storm Imogen follows Storm Henry, which ran close to the north of Scotland through Monday into Tuesday of last week.
On Saturday in Cornwall the heavy rain and high winds caused flooding problems, as five vehicles became stuck in flood waters.
Sporting fixtures were also postponed with Exeter v Oxford and Bristol Rovers v Wimbledon in League Two called off due to waterlogged pitches.


sharing